City of Fellsmere Job Openings
$14.00 - $20.00 Per Hour
DEPARTMENT: FINANCE & ACCOUNTING
This is advanced clerical and specialized accounting work in compiling, maintaining and verifying diverse statistical, fiscal and accounting records. Work requires considerable ability in counting money and making change and performing related duties. Employees are expected to exercise independent judgment in solving most problems that arise within their assigned work. Work is performed under the general direction of the Director of Finance and Accounting. This is a full-time (40 Hour) per week position, with full City benefits, which include health, dental, vision, life insurance and others.
The following duties are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position:
- Correlates invoices, purchase orders, requisitions and account payable slips for the generation of AP checks. This includes verification of proper authorization, due dates, discounts, duplicate or incorrect invoices, vendor address changes and verification of all input as accurate and correct.
- Maintains sales tax records to comply with State of Florida requirements.
- Assists in budget input to the computerized accounting system.
- Track and account for the employees’ HSA and RHS accounts on an on-going monthly basis.
- Perform account reconciliations monthly.
- Post monthly adjusting journal entries.
- Primary General Ledger account creation, maintenance and validation.
- Job entails constant attention to details and the ability to work under deadlines and pressure.
- Batches all payment requests for computer input maintaining batch totals for control.
- Maintain and reconcile accounts receivable; Send out bills/statements; Follow-up on payments.
- Verifies the time sheets from all city departments, in a relief role.
- Prepares the input for new hires, terminations, changes, insurance, pensions, deferred compensation accounts, W-4's, I-9's, vacation and sick adjustments and any other miscellaneous benefits or deductions, in a relief role.
- Prepare informational reports for workers compensation and prepares and corrects various reports generated by the payroll systems, in a relief role.
- Maintains fiscal year to date information to balance the annual leave liability report, in a relief role.
- Prepare bank deposits in a relief role.
- Staff the Water desk job function in a relief role.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Knowledge and ability to operate various office equipment and machines, including personal computers in a Microsoft Office and ACCESS environment.
- Knowledge of accounting principles and ability to maintain ledgers and accounts accurately.
- Knowledge of policies and procedures of the City and abilities to put this knowledge into practice in daily operations.
- Ability to interact effectively and tactfully with the public, staff and various departments.
- Ability to read alpha and numeric characters and accurately enter these characters into Computer or manual files.
- Ability to understand oral and written instructions and possess sufficient math computational skills.
- Must possess a valid Florida driver´s license.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduation from an accredited High School and two years of responsible experience in a computerized accounting or banking environment or any equivalent Combination of formal education, training or experience.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish highly preferred.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Works in standard office environment, normally seated, but confined to the work area for extended periods of time.
- Required physical abilities include but are not limited to: crouching/kneeling; pushing/pulling; speech and hearing as required for verbal and telephone conversation; visual acuity and clarity either assisted or non-assisted including full field of vision, color and depth perception as required for daily tasks of communication, filing, reviewing paperwork, computer operation, etc.; repetitive actions and manual dexterity; fine manipulation and motor skills, lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. on occasion.
Reasonable accommodation will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.
The City of Fellsmere is a Drug Free Workplace and Equal Opportunity Employer