City of Fellsmere Job Openings
POSITION TITLE: Public Works Superintendent
SECTION IV CLASS DESCRIPTION:
This a supervisory position responsible for administrative and field work under the Community Development Department in directing all the operations of the Public Works Division. Work is performed with considerable independence but is subject to oversight of the Community Development Director and the executive direction of the City Manager or his/her designee.
This position is a Disaster/Emergency readiness mandatory position, requiring the availability to respond and remain for declared natural disasters or local disasters, in accordance with directions from the City Manager/designee.
- Supervises, directs, plans, coordinates and instructs all personnel within the Public Works Division and is responsible for the construction, operation and maintenance of the city parks, potable water system, sanitary sewer system, drainage systems, city roads, streets and alleys, city easement, city buildings and grounds, city vehicles and equipment and other city property and facilities as directed by the City Manager or his/her designee.
- Able to lift 50 pounds routinely, work outside in inclement weather, heat/cold, and in an office setting, as required.
- Directs the preparation of the budget for the division and makes procedural and operational recommendations to the City Manager or his/her designee.
- Responsible for establishment of suitable training of subordinate personnel through establishment of in-service training programs.
- Inspects work performed within the Public Works Division and City contract agreements. Coordinates work activities and programs of the division with other City programs and projects.
- Maintains and promulgates necessary division rules and regulations in accordance with personnel rules and regulations and City policy.
- Prepares written technical reports, estimates, construction and cost records.
- Investigates and adjusts personnel problems that may arise from time to time.
- Attends and participates in conferences, meetings, committees as directed.
- Responsible for tracking City-owned cemetery lot sales and processing, through City Clerk and City Finance.
- Fosters a work environment focused on employee and public safety.
- Performs related work as required and other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
Knowledge of modern techniques, methods, procedures, principles and practices of all phases of public works. Knowledge of principles and practices of landscaping and the care of turf/grass. Knowledge of the use and care of all types of public works and engineering tools, equipment, instruments, materials and supplies. Two plus years experience as a motor grader operator highly desired.
Basic experience with Microsoft Office computer programs such as Word, Excel, Access and Adobe Acrobat.
Bi-lingual in Spanish desired, but not required.
Ability to plan, direct, supervise, coordinate, organize and inspect public works programs and activities. Ability to prepare written technical reports, estimates, construction and cost records. Ability to plan, assign, instruct, review and evaluate work assignments of technical and semi-skilled personnel. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with subordinates, superiors, officials and the general public. Ability to prepare, develop and present long range public works programs.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from high school or equivalent certification. Considerable responsible experience in Public Works in a major supervisory capacity or any equivalent combination of training and/or experience. Must posses a valid Commercial Drivers License Class “B” with air brake endorsement, or the ability to obtain one within six (6) months of appointment.
The City of Fellsmere is a Drug Free Workplace and Equal Opportunity Employer